HAPPY FRIDAY! Man, it feels good to say that! I hope you’ve had a great week, and if not… it’s almost the weekend. I started you off with Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls on Tuesday, so I really don’t know how you couldn’t be having a fantastic week. By the way, did you make any? If not, you need to-stat.
Today’s recipe is inspired by Zoe’s Kitchen Braised White Beans. I’ve tried to make their white beans several times, and I think I finally found the secret ingredient- smoked paprika. Just a pinch does the trick. Combined with smashed garlic and fresh rosemary, braised white beans will become your new favorite side dish.
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (about 2 tbsp.), plus more for topping (If using dry, use about ½ tsp. dried rosemary)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1-2 cups chicken /vegetable broth
- 3 cans great northern beans (Cannellini beans)
- 1 tsp. diced onion
*Add salt (to taste) & additional fresh chopped rosemary after cooking.
*Immersion blender or whisk
- In a large colander, rinse and drain the cans of beans. Be sure to wash off all canning liquid.
- In a medium pot add butter and diced onion. Sauté the onion until it is semi-translucent and then add rosemary leaves. Let rosemary leaves marinate for 20-40 seconds. Next, add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, smashed garlic, olive oil, vegetable broth, and beans to the pot.
- Allow all ingredients to simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes. If you need more liquid, pour in additional chicken stock.
- Using an immersion blender, or whisk, smash some of the beans to create a creamier mixture. This step is not necessary if you prefer more whole beans.
- Optional: top with additional salt, pepper, and fresh chopped rosemary.
Braised white beans complement almost any protein (steak, chicken, or pork). If I want a meatless meal, I’ll eat these beans with a side salad or veggie.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend – I’m off to happy hour!